RE: Engine re-build must-do's

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: Engine re-build must-do's
From: "Wayne Ross" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:14:31 -0400
Thanks for the advice everyone,

I just wanted to make sure that I don't miss anything while I am re-building
the engine.
My clutch components looks good, I installed new clutch/plate/bearing 10-15
years ago, but the car has been garaged 10 years of that time.
I do plan to look inside the tranny, I might even re-build after I am done
with the engine. Or I might just replace a few gaskets and new oil and throw
it back in the car. The tranny was working fine last time I drove (4 years
ago) I changed the oil way back when I replaced the clutch/plate/bearing.

As far as the engine re-build goes, I currently have the engine on the stand
and will be tearing it apart this weekend. I will clean everything and take
measurements per the manuals and whatever parts are out of spec, I will
replace or have machined. I know my crank is going to need grinding, I'm
hoping my cam is ok. I planned on just replacing the piston rings, no the
pistons, but I will have to wait and see how everything looks.
I thought I would be automatically replacing the valves, guides and seats
due to the unleaded fuel used today, but from what I am hearing on this
list, if these parts are ok, then why not re-use them (sounds good to me).

I do not want to spend a fortune on the re-build, I do not plan on replacing
parts if I can re-use them. I am new to engine re-building, and I have
enjoyed restoring everything else on the car in the 20 years I have owned
her. I am doing the re-build myself not only to save money but also beacause
I know that I will love doing it. :)

I simply wanted to know what MUST be done during an engine rebuild.

Thanks,

Wayne
Westport, MA
1973 TR6 (Mallard)