Advice on Carbs (follow-up)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on Carbs (follow-up)
From: corey.sherman@rcn.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:53:40 -0400
Thanks everyone for your assistance... one more thing, please.

I tweaked the carbs for quite some time, but couldn't quite dial them in,
so brought the car to 'ye old garage' (nothing like going to an expert).
$80 later, it runs much better, but even the shop has it idling around
1100. The mechanic also detected a small vacuum leak around the manifold
(as someone suspected). He also adjusted the timing. This has taught me
not to take on too much at one time - I replaced the plugs, installed a
Pertronix and did a carb rebuilt simultaneously.

One disturbing outcome was he pointed out that my distributor set up is
incorrect! Apparently the DPO (or mechanic) screwed this up royally (Jay,
aren't you glad you didn't buy this TR). I had never notice this until
now.

It appears that the vacuum retard is missing*. The advance works fine, but
the retard is suppose to have a nut and bolt adjustment (missing), and
screw into the housing (which is stripped).

Any suggestions would be great appreciated (as always).

(* 560-155  Vacuum Unit, retard TR250, TR6 to CC58360)
http://www.mossmotors.com/cgi-bin/db2www/mossmotors/MossUSA/Shop/ViewProducts.mac/report?T=24198&ModelID=41000&PlateID=3879

corey.sherman@rcn.com
1971 TR6 CC572690