RE: TR-6 Overdrive update.

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-6 Overdrive update.
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:00:35 -0400
Patrick,

        You're "killin" me here! Please do not even attempt the quick fix
mentioned
below! The drive shaft must be aligned. The drive shaft is not, "just",
simply bolted up! Concentricity must be nearly perfect! Parallelism is
equally import; otherwise a vibration that could turn lethal will surely
follow!

        For the rest of the people on this list I have a question pertaining to
Patrick's installation. I am assuming that he is adding an overdrive unit to
a non-overdrive tranny? I have been told that in order to retrofit an
overdrive unit, a different Trans main shaft is also required?

        My 74 was originally equipped with overdrive. Somewhere along the way
the
trans was swapped for an early number TR-250 unit. I intend to put the
correct trans back in and sell the 250 unit to a purist. I've been told that
it is best to begin with a complete OD unit, and then rebuild as necessary.

        It is also interesting that I have not been made aware of this drive
shaft
flange difference. For others who may have had the same experience, please
advise!

Jim
74 TR-6
Tampa Bay

Hello listers,

I finally managed to get the overdrive install. Back breaking experience.
My question, the overdrive flange to the drive shaft flange was not the
right one.
The holes did not align properly so I got new holes drilled into the flange
of the overdrive.
Now that the holes align properly, the flange of the drive shaft does not
seat flush with the overdrive flange.
The flange of the drive shaft has a round metal lip that inserts into the
flange of the overdrive, but the overdirve flange groove is not large enough
for seat in properly. That means that I have a 1mm opening between the
flanges. The bolts are on tight and secure.
Should I put 4 x 1mm thick washers between the flanges? or should I shave
off the lip sticking out of the drive shaft? Or should I just leave it
alone?

Thanks,

Patrick