RE: Differential Drain Plug

To: "David Friedlander" <forzion@maine.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Differential Drain Plug
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:48:29 -0700
>I considered the idea of tapping the differential case for a drain plug.
Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Dave,

I drilled and tapped my diff housing for a drain plug about 5 years ago.  If
you look at the bottom of the diff, there is a round "flat" area that is the
perfect place to install the plug. I used a 3/8-18 NPT tap and drain plug.
If you are not sure where the round flat is, look at page 204 of TRF's TR6
Spare Parts Catalogue #1 - they show a drain plug that they "fit to all
rebuilt units".  The area to drill/tap is directly above where the drain
plug is shown. I have heard that it is possible to drill the hole with the
diff in place (and full of oil), but I did it with the diff out of the car
and the back cover off, so I could account for all the shavings.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6