RE: Differential Drain Plug

To: "David Friedlander" <forzion@maine.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Differential Drain Plug
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:54:14 -0700
> maybe I could just proceed with the diff in place,
drilling then tapping carefully, then, after tapping it, flush it through
the
fill hole with gear lube to clear any shavings.
Lazy, yes! Crazy?

Dave,

I've done "crazier" stuff than that.  It should be ok.  I'd worry more about
the drill getting trashed due to the flood of gear oil when you break
through.  Maybe you could drill a small (1/8") pilot hole first, and stick
the drill bit through a Plastic coffee can lid (for a shield)to protect the
drill.  Just be sure and have a drain pan ready for the "flood".

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6