Re: Re: TR6 Front Shock

To: Chris & Melissa <chris.lummis@sympatico.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: TR6 Front Shock
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:42:33 -0500
Chris,

Ahem! A very good point (thwack!) and one that needs to be strongly emphasized
when working on any vehicle - follow the sequence in the manual. (thwack!)  If
you do not have one then (thwack!) purchase Bentley and/or Haynes.  It's been
said on many posts and I am as guilty as anyone about not insuring that it's
mentioned where it really counts. (thwack!, thwack!)

With that said (thwack!) I do believe that the lower a-arms will stop against
the chassis rail before the spring has enough room to pop loose (thwack!) from
the spring pan.  That does not mean it's OK (thwack!) as I would be very leery
about putting any part of my body (thwack!) near that spring in its fully
extended but still compressed position. (thwack!)

It may also make it all the more difficult (thwack!) to get the shock out as
the spring pan is angled more inward to the center of the car.  Regardless of
that issue, (thwack!) I would reconnect the vertical link to the upper and
lower a-arms just to keep things square and the spring safely entrapped.  That
does not (thwack!) require putting all of the lower bushings and washers back
in, just what is necessary to close up the suspension while working on the
shocks. (thwack!)

So (thwack!) as I finish meting out my punishment of 20 lashes with a wet
noodle (thwack!) please use the manual whenever working on your TR. (thwack!)

Greg Dito
CD6250L