Re: Re: rear shock conversion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: rear shock conversion
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:23:22 -0500
Listers,
First off, there are probably many opinions regarding the different shock
conversions available, and there good or bad features.
Secondly, I run the stock "lever" shock currently simply because of the
current economics of "it is cheaper to run what you have".
Maybe it is a misunderstanding on my part, or on the part of owners that
have installed the "through the fender" conversions, but I do want to
point out a small thing though.
Although it may appear that the "fenders" are "carrying" the shock
"forces", from an engineering standpoint, this is simply not the case.
The "fender' may "intersect" the brackets, the brackets themselves are
"transferring" the forces to the frame mounting points.
It would be ignorant to say the least, for an engineer of a component
such as these conversion "brackets", to knowingly allow these forces to
transfer to the sheet metal. The three pieces that make up the assembly
on each side, form a unit that, even without the body tub in place, very
adequately accomplish the task of "carrying" the force from the upper
shock mount, to the frame mounting point.
Now if an owner mistakenly, bolted these brackets together in such a way
that they were not properly " in place" when tightened, then there could
indeed be stresses applied that could apply forces to the sheet metal.
Also if the tub moved in relationship to the frame, the same situation
could arise.
Now I know that the frame on the TR250-TR6 is not the stiffest thing
going, and if you are really going to push it (hard driving), then maybe
this is not the way for you to go.
The shock mounting point itself does not posses much strength fore-aft,
so any shock mounting method that moves those forces far from the "cross
brace", put increasing amounts of "twist" on the mounting. So choose
appropriately.

I've heard a great many discussions on this subject, and just wanted to
make an observation, I do not mean to offend anyones choice of "favorite"
shock mounting method.  Choose wisely, to fit your requirement.

Cheers,

Mark Riddle
"72 TR6 with levers-but wanting to convert the trailing arms to something
else

stuff deleted