Re: Cracked Diff Mount

To: timothy_murray@hotmail.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cracked Diff Mount
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:52:28 -0500
Tim,

Yes it is possible, in two different ways.  The first is to cut a hole in the
rear shelf of the interior and get to the top of the frame from the interior of
the car.

The second is to cut out the old bracket out, remove the old stud and prepare a
new stud and bracket and weld it to a plate that will slide between the
crossmember sides and sit flat on the bottom of the crossmember.  You must
fabricate a steel plate to fit into the bottom of the crossmember, drill a hole
that will allow the stud to fit through and then weld the stud to the plate.
Then you have to weld a new bracket onto the stud.  The key will be to retain
the appropriate angles and distances so that the finished product is in the
correct spot.  It is a tight fit everywhere.  You will have to make sure that
all rust and dirt is removed from old crossmember so the welds will be strong.
And after the new piece is installed you should install the additional
reinforcement plates that are sold by TRF or that you have fabricated yourself
from the Word document template.

Also, check the drivers side rear mount for cracking also.  If the right front
is gone this one is the next to go.

I have attached a couple pics to illustrate what I am describing.  In both
pictures you will see everything set up and ready to be welded.  I forgot to
take any pictures after it was welded until after the differential was in place.

I have also attached the Word doc. that contains the template.  And, the
template is very accurate.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Aaron

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
IM002110.JPG]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
IM002121.JPG]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a
name of Differential Mount Reinforcements Template.doc]