Re: DOT 3 vs DOT 5

To: <LaJoMor@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DOT 3 vs DOT 5
From: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@capitaltriumphregister.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:47:40 -0500
Larry,

Thanks.  Interestingly, some of the "lore" also speculates that because DOT5
doesn't absorb water, it "traps" it causing localized rusting/corrosion.  This
same lore suggests that DOT 4 is thus better because it DOES absorb moisture,
which is later removed when the fluid is changed.  Makes sense, logically.
However, as with the other myths, I have not heard of anyone actually having
this problem, either.  I'm with you, here.  Even if the lore is true, I'd
rather have rust in one place than throughout the system.

While I'm at it, another statement about DOT5 is that it is "incompatible"
with DOT4.  Truth is that they do not mix -- the Buckeye Triumphs piece
discusses this at length, and a member of my club proved it to himself as
well.  However, and this is a big however, the question is "so what?"  The
DOT5 does not chemically react with the DOT4 (no one has even suggested this).
And, if a small amount of DOT4 remains in the system, it just sits there and,
I suppose, will eventually get flushed out.  And again, as with the other
apprehensions, has not resulted in a problem reported by anyone.

IMHO, it appears to me that "traditionalists" may be out to quash a good
technical improvement, much like the Detroit establishment killed the Tucker
automobile.

But I ramble.  Anyone, please chime in if I have misstated anything; I am
hardly an expert.  Particularly, has anyone had actual problems caused by
using DOT5??

Cheers,

Paul E.