Re:Dot 3 vs Dot 5

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Dot 3 vs Dot 5
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:48:39 -0800 (PST)
Ken---Since your question was about "what to use in your clutch system",
I will give you my report from 30 years of experience in this area of
the TR6.
The Owners Manual calls for DOT 3, so that's what I have used. I have
had no particular problems with this formula, other than knowing it is
an excellent paint stripper, if it gets away from you.

Both the clutch MC and its slave are original, and seals have been
replaced maybe five or six times over this period. I don't know if this
is excessive, as I've nothing to compare it to. A few years ago I came
across a new-to-me product called VALVOLINE SynPower Clutch and Brake
Fluid, so picked up a couple of cans. The label says "Synthetic Fluid
for cars requiring Dot 3 or Dot 4".
This is not a silicone, and states that it is "a mixture of glycol and
polyglycols".  I've been using it in the clutch system for about three
years now. During a seal/clutch change, I drained the system and added
this SynPower. For what it's worth, the clutch fluid in the MC is no
longer tinged with the questionable black mix.

Not long after, I bled the brakes and started using it in this system.
(MC also original but honed and re-sealed a few times) It is further
written that it "has a dry boiling point to be in excess of 500 deg." so
that can't be a bad thing during heavy braking.

At this time, I would recommend the product for both clutch and brake
systems. Unless you're sold on silicone!

Dick
'73

Ken wrote:

Hello Listees,
I have just purchased all new parts relating to the clutch hydralics and
am now receiving some conflicting advise on which fluid to use after
installing the parts. After talking with some who use silicone I thought
this would be the way to go. However, when ordering parts from BPNW Greg
suggested I not use silcone fluid as Girling parts (both brake and
clutch) contain aluminum. Apparently silicone does not get into the more
porus aluminum material (compared to steel) and the part is not
protected as well. Consequently over time the part wears away
prematurely. They go so far as to say that the fluid will begin to turn
dark as the aluminum erodes. Since I am using new parts for the long
haul I want to make the best decision from the start and need some help
from the collective wisdom of the list.   What saith ye all ?
Ken Owens