RE: overheating issue

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: overheating issue
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:08:53 -0800
        Jim:

        You don't say in your note what you have already tried to fix
the problem.
Have you replaced the thermostat? Have you drained and flushed the
radiator, replacing the coolant with a fresh 50-50 mix of
antifreeze/water?
        Is your fan shroud intact? Is it in good condition? If not,
install one. Is your radiator cap in good condition? Have you tried
replacing it? (The cap is a long shot based on the symptoms you
describe, but it is cheap and easy...)
        Are there any bubbles in the coolant if you idle it with the
radiator cap off (when cool)? Are you seeing any white smoke from the
exhaust? If so, you have a blown head gasket...

        Take care of the basics before you start thinking about
upgrading the water pump. Odds are it is something basic, and modifying
the water pump would only be a band aid. Besides, if you spin the water
pump too fast, it will cavitate and overheat when cruising. =:-(

        Cheers,

        Vance