Mating British Car parts...

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mating British Car parts...
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:22:24 -0800
        Folks:

        Well, the long rebuild saga is on the downhill side, and it is a

mighty good feeling.
        The engine has been done for a long time, and it looks great. It
is
now sitting back in the engine compartment. Painted a gloss black, with
all new bolts (no more rusty, crusty fasteners sticking out all over the
place) it looks pretty happy. New motor mounts, too.
        The transmission rebuild is done, and I added a J-type overdrive
to the box, so I will have 6 speeds. Woo-hoo! I used Hylomar all
over the place, and it doesn't leak any oil so far.
        Here is my current issue:

        I am attempting to get the transmission to mate with the engine
(I put the engine and tranny in separately) and I'll be darned if the
two units will go together. This is aggravated by the fact that the
tranny is now almost 100lbs with the OD, and I have no clue as to what
I am doing, as always. Moving it around is pretty tough for my 50 year
old body, so everything is done with much grunting, huffing, and
puffing.
        I used the Moss clutch tool when installing the clutch and
pressure plate. That seemed to go without a hitch. (Brand new Borg and
beck clutch unit...so fine.)
        I have the rear of the engine sitting on a jack stand, with
about
1/4" clearance from the top of the tranny tunnel. I can get the
transmission
to barely engage the 3 mounting studs on the top of the motor, so the
top of the tranny is about 1" away from the motor. The bottom edge of
the tranny is another story, being about 1-1/2" from the motor,
indicating
that the two are ever so slightly misaligned. The tail of the tranny is
resting on the transmission mounts, so it won't go lower unless I remove
the
mount. The tranny is in second gear, so I can rotate the output flange
turn the input shaft.
        So here are some questions:

        1. Is this amount of mis-alignment enough to keep them from
mating?
        2. Any tricks that I need to know?
        3. Should I pull the motor and insert the tranny with the motor?
(Ack!)
        4. Is there a special tool I need (A sky hook, for example)?

        Any tips would be appreciated.

        Stumped,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6