Re: Windshield Seal Repair Parts List

To: Acekraut11@aol.com
Subject: Re: Windshield Seal Repair Parts List
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:59:10 -0800 (PST)
Aaron, Gene, and others---I replaced my "Triplex" windshield a few
months ago, after about 14 years of service. TRF was "out of stock" so I
went to MossM. The first one they sent was cracked in the lower, right
corner, right out of the box. Moss sent me another, this one packed nine
ways from Sunday. While this one wasn't cracked, the edge finish was so
ragged as to require using a power barrel sander and some hand emery
finishing before all of these stress risers were eliminated. (The
cracked one looked ragged as well, so I guess no one looks at the
finished product out of the mold).

I've done three of these windshields over the years and (also) use a tip
passed along by a vintage car restorer. He, and now I, use a product
called "Neatsfoot Oil". I guess its primary use is to soften and seal
leather goods. (It's available in sporting good stores.) I have found
its initial slipperiness to greatly aid in both installing the glass to
the rubber seal, and then the seal to the frame. The Neatsfoot dries in
a day or so and then becomes a sealer.  I also use the "string method"
(actually I use plastic coated #14 copper wire) as shown in
illustrations in the Bentley, and others, to pull things together. Any
spill of this oil should be sponged away from paint, while wet.

The new glass has the Triumph shield logo in the lower left corner.  The
first real test for leaks came this week as the car had to sit in a
downpour for several hours. All's well.

Dick