Re: Wheel bearing racers

To: "Paula J. Graffam" <pjgraffam@juno.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing racers
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:43:51 -0400
Al,

You should definitely, without question, replace the races when replacing the
bearings.

It's very simple to knock out the old race.  Lay the rotor and hub assembly
down and, with a bright light, look down into the hub center.  Inside on the
opposite side (the race facing down) you will see two small cutouts that
exposes part of the underside of the race.  A nail counterpunch, screwdriver,
or any long metal object that can fit in that undercut will work.  Give the
punch a good number of firm taps (great force is usually not needed)
alternating between the two cutouts and the race will slowly creep out of the
hub.  This is done for both sides of each hub.

Installing new races requires a drift that places an equal load across the
race's entire top edge as it is either pressed or tapped down into the hub.
Gentle taps will also work as you move the "tool" around the race's top edge,
in alternating opposite side taps, bringing the race fully home in the hub
recess.  I use a piece of delrin for this as it is hard enough to strike with a
hammer but soft enough not to damage the race.  Again, a great amount of force
is not needed.  Just be very careful that you do not cock the race as it goes
into the hub.  And clean out the hub, (degreasing it would be ideal) to remove
the old grease and any debris before installing new bearings.

Alternately, any machine shop can do this for you for a very reasonable cost.

Greg Dito
CD6250L