Re: Wheel bearing racers

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing racers
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:37:12 -0400
Hi Bob,

Before I bead blasted the hubs, I soaked them in gasoline for about a
week. I removed all the grease. They were dry and clean. I then packed
the hubs with paper, and neatly cover the front and back openings with
duct tape. Then bead blasted and painted, and lastly removed the duct
tape and the paper stuffing.

They are as clean as I can get them I think. I will put a small amount
of grease inside the cavity just in case there is some dust left in
there and to protect against corrosion. I expect flakes from the rusting
cast iron might not be good.

Hmmm.... maybe that's where it came from. Someone said you should put
some grease inside the hub to protect against rusting and it got passed
around from person to person until the hub cavities were being filled
with gobs of grease and no one knew exactly why anymore...

Thanks for the tips.

Don Malling