Re: FW: Brake Fluid types

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Brake Fluid types
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:25:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hey List,

This is a well timed thread for me,

> I have read about the different types of fluid D.O.T. 3,4, Silicone 5
> and Silicone 5.1. The Triumph specifications say use DOT 3. I also
> received a email from a Triumph owner and he said that the Silcone would
> not seal well but it would not hurt your paint!

I had my master brake cyclinder rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics April of 2000, last
Sunday my brake pedal kept getting closer and closer to the floor. Upon
inspection it became clear that the MC was leaking. Last night I removed the
master crclinder from the boost/servo and discovered black sludge spewing out
of the end of the MC and had puddled in the cavity where the MC and servo meet.
The frist time this happened 4 years ago it was DOT 3 and it thrashed my paint.
When I got the master cyclinder back from Apple 4 years ago I refilled the
system with DOT 5 to avoid further paint stripping. I have not had a chance to
open up the MC yet to see what the condition of the bore is. I know the MC got
overbored, but I do not recall if it had a brass sleave installed or not.

Last night I read the nice write up on the www.buckeyetriumphs.org site about
brake fluid types. Nelson concludes from SAE reports and experiences of his own
and others that there is nothing harmful to the rubber about using DOT 5 fluid.
However I spoke with Lazar at Apple Hydraulics this morning and he thought the
DOT 5 was to blame for the MC failure. He basically said, I'll send you a kit
but if you use DOT 5 its going to happen again in another 3-4 years.

So my questions are:

Is this normal, do MC's go bad every 3-5 years regardless of brake fluid type?

Has anyone else had an experience similar to mine with an Apple Hydraulics
overbored MC? Did you use DOT 3 and you're still ok? Did you use DOT5 and
you're still ok?

I know some people have done their own experiments putting brake seals in
different types of fluids for extended periods of time to check for "swelling"
anyone care to comment on their findings?

Kendall
74.5 TR6
(finally a club member after like 6 years on the list!)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: