Re: FW: Brake Fluid types

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Brake Fluid types
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:29:04 -0400
I've used nothing but Castrol LMA in my TR250 since the day I bought it
in 1968.

I also have a big rusty spot under the master cylinder to prove it.
Courtesy of a "mechanic"  who worked on it while I was at work many
years ago. The brakes were locking up on it (faulty master cylinder),
and I had to get back to work in the afternoon. I can still remember it
clearly -- picking up my car and seeing brake fluid all over the engine
compartment. I don't think the moron even knew what he had done, or just
didn't care. Never went back there. Funny -- my neighbor used to go to
the same mechanic until the moron mechanic, or one of his kid helpers,
installed shock absorbers upside down on his car.

It's in a frame off now, and when it's back together I plan to use
silicon. It just isn't worth the risk to me.

I've read everything I can on the issue, and I've never seen a "smoking
gun" reason not to use silicon.

I will try to find the Classic Motor sports article. Maybe the "smoking
gun" is there.

Don Malling

Check out the new British Cars Forum: