Re: FW: Brake Fluid types

To: "Kendall Larsen" <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: FW: Brake Fluid types
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:54:04 -0400
Kendall and list...

> Is this normal, do MC's go bad every 3-5 years regardless of brake
> fluid type?
>
> Has anyone else had an experience similar to mine with an Apple
> Hydraulics overbored MC? Did you use DOT 3 and you're still ok?
> Did you use DOT5 and you're still ok?

I do not put blame on the brake fluid, and like Bob Lang, I highly recommend
that everyone use Castrol LMA (I specify it to all of my customers who
purchase hydraulic components).

One of the reasons I feel TR6 brake masters frequently fail at the front
seal is the lack of any dust boot where it mounts into the brake servo and /
or not properly flushing out the remainder of the brake system and leaving
old particles of rust, rubber or other debris suspended in the fluid once it
is filled up.

Cleanliness in hydraulic systems is of the utmost importance, any foreign
debris in the fluid can have a negative impact on the life of your seals and
on the cylinder bore.

You can take some precautions to keep dirt from entering in from the brake
servo side of the brake master, by packing the depression in the front of
the cylinder (where you see the face of the piston) with red rubber grease.
Most other Lucas / Girling / Lockheed cylinders, if you remove the dust
boots, have this opening filled with red rubber grease.

Another solution may be to fabricate a gasket that fits between the master
cylinder body and the servo.  Quite a few modern vehicles have a gasket in
this exact location (late model Mitsubishi Eclipses to name one I've seen
recently).

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke