Re: One thing after another

To: "Robert McBride" <rmcbride@twmi.rr.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: One thing after another
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:30:53 -0500
> Hi...  Just got back from hangar where I store the TR-6 found
> out I now have a hole in the radiator,,,this seems to be why it
> was running hot yesterday... So looking for tips on where to
> buy or should I try to get it recored??   And any tips on doing
> the R & R....

You do not have to replace or recore your radiator depending on the size of
the leak or location of the leak.  A compotent radiator shop should be able
to fix a leaky radiator for about $50-$75, which includes cleaning and
pressure testing to find and repair any further leaks.

If you are finiky about your fins, like if the leak is in the middle of the
core, then this may not be the best option.  Typically rad shops will make a
small incision in the fins to clear enough space to solder shut the hole in
that particular tube.  Better radiator shops can do the repair without
screwing up the appearance of the radiator.  Some will carefully spread the
fins in the area apart, make the repair, then comb the fins back into
position.  The airflow blocked by the solder repair is such a small portion
of the entire radiator area that there is no decrease in cooling efficiency.

Shop around and ask about what the repair will look like, ask to see a
radiator that they have repaired already.  If the place looks like a dump,
it probably is, and your radiator is probably going to be treated with the
same care as the rest of the sh!t in their shop.  (But if you ever need
security lugnuts removed from a car, take it to the most redneck shop in
town and they will have the security lugnut off in about 10 minutes and your
wallet will only be $5 lighter)

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke