RE: Does anyone have and use an original factory hardtop?

To: "Joseph Grant" <z28quetzal@mindspring.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Does anyone have and use an original factory hardtop?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:36:11 -0800
        Folks:

        My understanding was that the early tops were all delivered
painted black or white, but these were quickly switched to body color
after about the first year to 18 months.
        I am currently stripping mine. It appears to have been delivered
in Sienna brown, and was subsequently repainted Mimosa yellow.
        I am thinking that I will paint mine gloss black to go with my
Mimosa TR6. I had a Z28 with a blue body and a black roof, and I always
thought it looked rather nice. A plus to this is that it would make the
top more easily sold if I decide not to keep it (it was a rather
expensive impulse purchase) and it would more closely resemble the car
with the convertible top raised. Twisted thinking, I know...
        My top was purchased with one small tear in the headliner, but
the slightest pressure would cause a split in the material, so a new
headliner was acquired. The paint job was crap, so I thought I might was
well paint it, and the hardware was missing, etc, etc. It will be a
$1,000 option before I am done, and they sure don't sell for that much
on eBay.

        Vance