Re: oil cooler thermostat

To: "Campsmith, Michael" <MGC4@CDC.GOV>
Subject: Re: oil cooler thermostat
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:56:52 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Campsmith, Michael wrote:

> What are the thoughts regarding the need for a thermostat for your oil
> cooler system?

The thermostat is probably a good idea, as if you run cold 20w50 oil
through the cooler when the ambient is cold, the result is like molasses.
This will result in parasitic losses in the engine (best case). It could
also lead to burst oil pipes... at the colder oil temps your oil pressure
will be at/near the oil pressure relief number and you'll circulate
unfiltered oil.

I run a thermostat on the race car oil cooler lines, when ambient is below
the mid-40's the oil never gets to the cooler even when I'm hammering on
the motor... I have an oil temp gauge - the cooler makes a BIG DIFFERENCE
when the ambient is hot (like above 85F.) Prior to the cooler, I'd get oil
temps over 180. With the cooler, the temps never go much above 120-130.
It's hard to tell exactly how hot the oil gets due to the numbers on the
gauge, but the oil def. runs about 60f cooler with the oil cooler.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michael Campsmith
> 1974 TR6 (hoping for a TR6 back in my garage by Christmas)

Sounds like a great holiday season present.

rml
Bob "PC" Lang         Room N42-140Q            |  This space for rent
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |