Re: Re: oil cooler thermostat

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, Greg Dito
Subject: Re: Re: oil cooler thermostat
From: <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:29:02 -0600
> I have to disagree with this logic. If the oil is really cold, the oil
> pressure will be very high - much more than 75 PSI. This high pressure
> will cause the oil pressure relif valve to dump pressure. The result is
> unfiltered oil to the engine, which is a bad plan.

This happens with and without an oil cooler.  I could be wrong, but when the
oil PRV unseats, a portion of the oil is routed back to the sump; filtered oil
continues to flow to the engine.  The real question is what is going on with
the bypass valve in the oil filter itself (if you have the spin-on conversion).

> regards,
> rml

Rick O.