Re: Weber v. others

To: James Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Weber v. others
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:21:36 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

First off - welcome to the list. I'm sure you'll find that we're much more
friendly than those MG folks will ever be. :-)

Regarding the DGV setup - they work fine and folks report that they are
very reliable. That said - I really, really, really don't like the setup,
because it uses a j-shaped manifold adapter to mount to the stock TR6
manifold. There is no way you can make that many bends in the air/fuel
path and not effect the airflow characteristics. Ultimately, you have to
decide which trumps which - performance vs (alleged) reliability.

I happen to be a fan of the stock Zenith Ztromberg CD175 carbs because
they are dead-nuts simple. If they don't work, it's either because they
aren't getting fuel or they fell out of adjustment (whatever that means).
In truth, over the course of ownership of a TR6, you'll get more problems
related to ignition that you'll get form the carbs. Really. I usually go
years between carb adjustments on my street TR6 which has the stock
induction setup.

If you have a penchant for performance, the Weber DCOE40 is THE choice -
If you put a set of these on your car and add a header / free-flow
exhaust, you can unleash a LOT of ponies on your car. But that's another
discussion for another day.

There is also the option of converting to fuel injection using the
Stomberg carb bodies - this would be the best compromise for tuning and
reliability (assuming that the fuel injection components don't fail). If
you want a totally reliable TR6, you should look into this option at the
very minimum.

So, you can leave the car as-is, you can go back to the original setup or
you can go modern - so many choices. Leaving it as-is is the lowest cost
option and probably the best considering that the work is already done.

If your goal is concours or the car show thing, then getting back to the
original would be wise. Modified concours owners tend to lean toward DCOE
40's. In fact, I have seen very few DGV equipped TR6's in VR modified
concours...

One way or the other - welcome.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx