RE: Weber v. others

To: "James Juhas" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Weber v. others
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:08:50 -0700
        Jim:

        I think in general the Webers are considered to be more
"tunable" by virtue of the ready supply of jets, emulsion tubes, etc as
well as the easier adjustment of the mixture for the early TR6s, which
had non-adjustable Zeniths.
        Having said that, the typical manifold that DGVs are installed
with is a very low performance item, particularly compared with the
stock manifold on the 1973 engine (wide port head). It is dubious in my
mind that the Webers outperform the stock Zeniths on a stock motor,
particularly when the low performance of the DGV manifold enters the
picture.
        With the ready availability of different needle profiles for the
Zeniths, there is no reason that the Zeniths cannot match Webers in
every regard. Places like www.joecurto.com can set up any needle you
wish for your carb (Although I found that Moss offers a selection of
needles as well, Joe is cheaper, has a larger selection, and can offer
recommendations)
        You can pick up a used manifold and a pair of Zeniths for cheap
from eBay or www.britishautoworks.com. Just make sure they are the later
adjustable Zeniths, not the fixed needle variety. It takes patience to
set up your carburetion, but the rewards are there. Also remember that
Zenith carbs are now 30+ years old, and will probably require a rebuild
to insure that they are working correctly. You can still get new ones
from Burlen Fuel Systems (www.burlenfuel.com ?) in England, but a used
set even with a rebuild will be much cheaper. Rebuild kits are available
from Moss or Joe. If it intimidates you to rebuild your own, Joe can
probably supply you with a completely rebuilt, tuned up set for a fair
price.

        Vance

        P.S. Your wife "made you" buy a TR6? Where can I get a wife like
that?
             "Honey, it's time you buy that Jensen I have had my eye
on." "Yes, dear. If you insist."