Re: Mallory distributors and electronic tachometers

To: Andrew Packard <apackard68@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Mallory distributors and electronic tachometers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:40:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Andrew Packard wrote:

> Since I went to the triple Webers, I don't have any vacuum advance.  The
> mechanical advance isn't even working in my stock distributor.  My local LBC
> consultant has suggested the dual point Mallory system sold by Moss.  He has
> no direct experience with it, but would like to see me give it a try.  Off
> course, there's no drive to spin the tach cable in the Mallory unit, so Moss
> has a note telling us an electronic tach is needed with this setup.  I
> emailed Palo Alto Speedometer to ask if my original Smith unit can be
> changed on the inside to run as an electronic unit, but that was just today.
> Anyone have any experience with the Mallory unit and/or an electronic
> tachometer in their TR?

Answers: yes and yes.

With the Mallory, you'll be amazed how steady your ignition can be. I
thought my timing gun was broken because the timing was that solid when I
installed the first unit on one of my cars. NO IGNITION FLUTTER ANYWHERE
ON THE USABLE RPM RANGE. Try getting a Lucas 22d to do that!

I'm a very big advocate of the Mallory upgrade. It works _and_ you can
tune it! What more can you ask for. It's not a "set it and forget it"
setup (hint - always carry a couple of extra condensors), but it's very
robust and works fine - I have two of these, one in the race car and one
in the street car. The street car has more than 15k miles and I'm still on
the first set of points! (Quick... where's some wood to knock on. :-))

As far as the tach thing, there are several companies that can convert to
electronic. I used www.gaugeguys.com, they're a Smith's repair depot. It
was about $200 for the conversion, but the work is top notch. Quick
turnaround too.

Regarding the Mallory dizzy, if you have the option... think about buying
the Unilite version - then you don't have to worry about points and (more
likely) condensor failure. They are pricey, but worth the money.

> Andy
>
> CD6746L

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx