Re: To a/c or to not (my TR6)?

To: "John Hauser" <jrhauser@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: To a/c or to not (my TR6)?
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@shoalsbritishcars.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 21:17:57 -0500
John,

I have the factory a/c unit converted to 134A and it does a decent job of
keeping the car cool.  If you expect it to work as well as a modern car,
then you'll probably be somewhat disappointed with cooling performance as it
takes longer to cool the car than a modern car, but it will eventually get
the car comfortable. The AC does rob some power but the engine has enough
torque so that it isn't noticeable at cruising speed as I can't feel the a/c
compression kicking on and off.

Based upon your wish to do some mild autocrossing with the car, I would not
install the a/c.  The weight is high up on the engine which can really
impact your handling.  Weight at the top of the engine makes more difference
than weight lower down on the engine.  Most auto crossers use an aluminum
water pump and pump housing to reduce weight at the top end of the engine.

You may run into some cooling issues since you have a modified engine.  I
don't have any problems with mine but it's nearly a stock engine still using
the crank driven fan.  I live in North Alabama and it gets hot and humid
here as well.

Who's your mechanic, would it be JK since you're in North Florida?  If so,
he's very good at what he does and I'd listen to him.  I have several JK
sourced components in my engine now and he gave me some good advice when I
rebuilt my engine.

Here's a link to the installation of my a/c unit:
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org/technical/tr6ac.htm

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org
'74 Triumph TR6 * '63 Triumph Herald * '84 Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel