RE: To a/c or to not (my TR6)?

To: "John Hauser" <jrhauser@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: To a/c or to not (my TR6)?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:08:14 -0700
        John:

        I have never driven a TR6 with air, although like you, my TR6
had an old dealer installed AC unit. There was no such thing as
"factory" air, so the dealers installed various kits to get AC for US
customers. Yes, the older compressors are a considerable drain, although
they are good enough to get the job done, apparently. Otherwise no one
would have bought one.

        An electric fan will be superior to the crank driven fan, with
or without A/C so don't hesitate to install one.

        As for the question to "to A/C or not to A/C?", if I had decided
to install A/C I would not use the original compressor. To big, too
heavy, too inefficient and the efficiency drops further when you use
R134 instead of the R12 it was designed for. I would get a modern
aftermarket compressor, designed for R134 Freon. Smaller, lighter, more
efficient, so less of a drag on the motor. The only way to go, given the
decision to install A/C in the first place.

        Vance