To a/c or to not (my TR6)?

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: To a/c or to not (my TR6)?
From: "John Hauser" <jrhauser@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 02:11:17 -0400
Need a/c advice!

I'm at the point now to either install an original a/c or to leave it out.
I'm about ready to drop the engine/trans back in after an extensive
rebuild.  I've had the engine done by a well known TR6 racer and he is
turning my car into a street racer.  Shaved head, lightened flywheel,cam,
elec fuel pump,elec fan,etc.
He is trying to convince me to join the local scca and get involved with
racing but I also want to use the car as a daily driver.

Problem is, when I mention putting the a/c in the car, my mechanic cringes
at the weight and power drain of the a/c.  He also stated that the old
factory a/c does not
cool well at all.  Well, I live in northern florida and the heat and
humidity is pretty unbearable at times.

Questions:
1. Does the a/c rob that much power?    (I've got a Mini Mooper S and it
does when it is on).
2. Does the old original a/c's cool well enough if updated to make a real
difference?
3. With a modified engine and using a elec fan cause any cooling issues with
the a/c?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Burning up in florida..

John