RE: To a/c or to not (my TR6)?

To: <Vsnively@aol.com>, <Pimento73@aol.com>, <jrhauser@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: To a/c or to not (my TR6)?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:51:58 -0700
        Vic, Jack:

        While there were certainly "factory approved" A/C installations,
they were all sourced from US manufacturers, none of which were
installed at the Triumph factory. All A/C systems were dealer installed.
I guess it depends on what your definition of "factory" is, but my
definition is that the system was installed on the assembly line where
the car itself was built. I think our debate is more about semantics
than technical merits of a particular system.
        Having pooh-poohed the idea of factory air, I must admit that
the "approved" kit commands a premium, and will certainly add value to
your car. If I were to install air in my car, I believe I would forgo
the "approved" kit and go for a modern R134 kit. I personally find the
approved kit pretty intrusive in terms of passenger space, while the A/C
originally in my car was too much, and it only affected the passenger
side. The compressor was the size and weight of an anvil too.
        Hey, its your car, do what makes *you* happy. As for my TR6,
stripping out the A/C and selling it on eBay for $350 made *me* very
happy =:-o

        Vance