Re: garage car lift

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Subject: Re: garage car lift
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:52:28 -0400
I have a 4-post Eagle lift that I purchased several years ago for about
$3,000.  It's good for 6,000# but I have never had anything heavier on
it than my Mustang GT.  Ceiling height will restrict its versatility.  I
can work under that Mustang, the tallest car I've put on the lift,
sitting on a stool I shortened to an appropriate working height.  I
noticed prices in recent years have been lower than what I paid, but I
haven't looked closely enough to know about quality differences.

I also used the lift for an engine removal/install on my Sprite.
Raising it about 18" off the ground put the little car at an acceptable
working height and permitted the long legs of the engine crane to  reach
unobstructed under the car. Without it, there are a number of clearance
issues, even if you put the car on jack stands.

In raising a car to place it on tall jack stands, I lift alternately
front to rear, in multiple lifts with blocks of wood on top of the floor
jack to get extra reach.  I just have to remember what sequence and how
many lifts so I can lower it the same way without damage.

Another short lift idea I have seen involves two steel ramps, sitting on
legs in the front to provide a drive on incline.  Then, a floor jack is
used in the rear to lift that end, and the manufactured versions have
legs that then drop down to hold that end up.  Jack stands could be used
for the home made system.