Zenith Stromberg Emissions/Vacuum Spaghetti

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Zenith Stromberg Emissions/Vacuum Spaghetti
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:59:21 -0400
I'm attempting to simplify my life (I think) by ridding the under-bonnet
mess called the emissions breathing system, including the canister and
run-on valve, and also the ignition vacuum plumbing on my '75. I also have a
'74 with SU HS6s, which is already striped of tubes and hoses.

The ZSs, however, have more ports than holes in Swiss cheese and I'm trying
to be careful not to upset their operation by introducing unintended
consequences.

Emissions
1) Blocking the float chamber emissions ports to the canister is the most
worrisome, since if the float chamber vent valve is stuck closed, no air can
enter the float chamber. Is it better just to disconnect the hose from
canister ports and route it so it exits to atmosphere?

2) So, since my '75 (and '74) already has no E.G.R. valve (the hole in the
intake manifold has a brass pipe plug in it), the only emissions breathing
will be to allow the crankcase vapors to exit the valve cover to the large
carb ports on each.

3) Running without a run-on valve. What's the downside, particularly with a
shaved head? Will I have a problem?

Ignition Vacuum
1) The PO already eliminated the thermostatic vacuum switch. My intention is
to also block all ignition vacuum ports that formerly connected to the
vacuum advance on the distributor, since my distributor doesn't have one.
There are several of these on my ZSs, one each just above the by-pass
valves, then one larger one at the top of the left (rear) carb throttle
plate and another underneath the right (front) carb throttle plate. Am I
messing up the by-pass valve operation by doing this?

2) So, the only vacuum line will be my brake booster line from the intake
manifold.

Jerry Shaw