Re: Zenith Stromberg Emissions/Vacuum Spaghetti

To: Jerry C Shaw <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Zenith Stromberg Emissions/Vacuum Spaghetti
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
W-E-B-E-R DCOE 40's

:-0

In all seriousness, the evaporative emission controls on your car do not
in any way effect you performance. Why remove them? TR6 is a special case
where there's TONs of pictures and diagrams of how things were set up from
the factory. Sure, you have SU's now, etc. etc. But the scenario you
describe has you taking the crankcase ventilation off. BAD IDEA. If you
really, really, really want your engine to puke oil from every orifice, I
urge you to plug the valve cover vent. :-) I mean this.

As a case in point - I actually run a PCV setup on my race car with DCOE
40's. The result? The thing leaks zero - zilch - nadda.

With a long-stroke motor like the TR6, you want/ need crankcase
ventilation. The stock setup isn't too bad.

Regarding the carbon canister - I have Webers on the race car. With no
evap controls on there, the garage smells like gasoline 'till all the fuel
evaporates from the carbs. If you have your car in an attached garage,
you'll find the odors to be alarming for you co-habitants.

I really think that dumping the emissions stuff is misdirected effort in
most cases unless you're making a race car in which case let me shake your
hand.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx