RE: Zenith Stromberg Emissions/Vacuum Spaghetti

To: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Zenith Stromberg Emissions/Vacuum Spaghetti
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:29:04 -0400
Jerry, relax.

For me there are three sides to the later TR6 plumbing.

There is the narrow tube side with the widget in the top hose, ports on
the carbs, the dizzy retard etc

There is the EGR with its narrow tube connection

And there is the wide tube canister, carb and crank vent system and
anti-run on valve.

In my case I wanted to clean things up and reduce the chance of vacuum
leaks so I eliminated almost all narrow tubing and the EGR. I replaced
the top hose with an earlier one-piece hose and I replaced the dizzy
with a rebuilt earlier dizzy with a vacuum advance. All other ports for
the narrow tubing were either eliminated or blocked off. I just have the
one narrow tube connection to the vacuum advance which I think I can
cope with. Timing and idle were adjusted accordingly now that I didn't
have the retard induced idle.

The canister, carb and crankcase vents and anti-run on valve I left
alone. They do no harm, actually do some good and they don't contribute
to vacuum leaks.

My engine bay no longer looks like spaghetti and the car runs well.

Stan