Re: [6pack] Cold start valve

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Cold start valve
From: "John VanNorman" <jsvannorman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:47:05 -0400
I'm a 32 year old with a one-year old little girl at home, so I can
tell you that the choke cables on my 74 1/2 TR6 are stiff!

Jumping in here a little late so some of this may have already been
mentioned, but just some thoughts off the top of my head:

- Have you taken the cold start valve off the carb and cleaned it out?
 Any chance there is grime or build up causing resistance?

- Is it possible that someone took the valve apart in the past and in
putting it back together tightened the nut holding the two pieces
together too tight?

- Any chance the choke cables need to be lubricated?

- With regard to the broken retaining springs that hold the choke
cable to the body of the carb - were you trying to close the cold
start valve without having the choke cable attached to the body of the
carb?  If so, that's probably your problem.

As a side note, I followed Nelson Reidel's tip and retrofit the
springs on both my 74 1/2 and my father's 74 1/2.  If you order them
from TRF, you'll find the springs individually listed for, I think,
the 1969 carb in the big TRF book (is that the blue or green one?).
For some reason, even though the springs were used up until around
1973 or so, TRF doesn't individually list the springs on the pages of
the book that cover the 1970 and up carbs.

John V.
--------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:50:59 -0500
From: Rick Norris Subject:
Hey, I'm 63 years old! I would appreciate your not using the word
"flaccid" so casually! That's serious stuff!!

Back on point though, I think the cable is the "stiff" (just the thought
brings tears to my eyes) variety and the movement of the valve body
seems to require a bit more oomph than can be provided by the  cable to
go that last half inch or so.  I just read the Reidel article regarding
retrofitting the springs from the older Z-S carbs and that sounds like a
pretty good approach if I can't find a way to make this arrangement work.

I'll have to go back and re-read the article but I think it said the
older carbs used the flexible (much better term) cable along with the
springs that closed the valve.

I had broken one of the little spring clips that hold the cable to the
carb last week so I ordered two new ones, along with some other good
stuff from Moss, which arrived not ten minutes ago so I am off to the
garage to piddle for a while. I'll let you know what arises.

I appreciate your input!

--
www.vannorman.no-ip.org