Re: [6pack] synching carbs

To: N197TR4@cs.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] synching carbs
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:29:10 -0700
N197TR4@cs.com wrote:
> Typically, we do the synchronizer routine at idle, first.  Then examine full
> throttle position.
>
> Never thought of this check in the terms that Ted presented, but it makes
> sense, and we will look more closely at the butterflies the next time.
>
> Always something more to learn. It's a wonderful list.

It makes sense if your carburetors are in very good working order and
you spend much of your time at full throttle. However, if the carb bores
and throttle edges are showing a little wear from the throttles being
snapped shut, throttle bushes worn a bit, and you're using the car to
toodle around town and spend a lot of time at idle and part-throttle,
the idle synchronization method is better. Throttle plate and bore
irregularities show up much more at idle than at full throttle.

The method of synchronizing at idle is probably secondary.  I suspect
that using a Unisyn (or a similar device) probably can produce more
accurate results, if employed properly, but, likely only a bit better
results than those achieved by sticking a tube in one's ear and paying
attention.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....