[6pack] Transmission rebuild

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Transmission rebuild
From: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:25:50 -0500
Several years ago, to address grinding when shifting from 1-2 then a little
from 2-3, I had my TR6 transmission rebuild by a place down in RI.  Upon
disassembly, the garage said all looks good except for the syncros.  They
didn't have good sourcing connections so I volunteered to supply these and
did. I believe I got them from BPNW.  Transmission arrive and I installed and
situation was much improved although not perfect and I falsely thought the unit
would just take some time to wear in.  Well, in fact, it has gotten much worse.
 Now it is difficult to produce a smooth shift and down
shifting is even worse.  The transmission is now out, cleaned and drained and
I'm contemplating my options.  Just called RTF and was quoted approx $1500.
This would include all new seals, bearings, gaskets and syncros and a 12 month
guarantee.  Wow, a far cry from the $450 I paid the first time
around (yes, I know it didn't work the first time).  I've read the manual of
rebuild instructions and not sure I'm ready for that.  Looking for options or
suggestions from the group.  Thanks for the help.

Darcy Hunter

"73 TR6

North Easton, MA