Re: [6pack] Transmission rebuild

To: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Transmission rebuild
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:58:09 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Not to rub salt in the wound, but with a $450 rebuild, you get $450 worth
of work.

To do a tranny properly, you need access to some special tools. Without
using those tools, you cannot set the clearances properly and your
"rebuild" won't last. That's the first issue.

Second and not to blast any particular vendor out there, the "quality" of
the synchros out there is all over the place. I know some rebuilders that
insist on re-facing old OEM synchros instead of replacing with new.

The quality of the bearings is also a factor, as tolerances can stack up
against you. So you want to know what's going in the box.

Yet another contributor is the type of fluid you put in the gearbox (as
has been mentioned many times over on this list and others.

So, when you look at the parts costs and then add in the necessary labor
to build a gearbox, the prices add up pretty quickly. I won't comment on
the $1500 thing, because what matters is what you get for your $$$ not the
actual price.

As for the grinding... sometimes we guess that transmissions that shoft
poorly are doign so because of the synchros. But the synchros are only
part of the equation. I'd verify proper clutch operation first, then make
sure I'm using the right lube in the 'box and then "go from there. If the
clutch is fine and proper lube was used, I'd be looking at a broken
top-hat bush or something that's made the "clearances" in the box go off
(like worn thrust washers or too much initial end-float).

Regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489