Re: [6pack] TR6 Wheels

To: Dave <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 Wheels
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:30:54 -0800
        Dave:

      Somebody can correct me on the following, but of course I will call them
a liar =:-o

        I *THINK* (A painful process at my age) that the issue is the section
width,
not the size of the wheel. So it is the 225 mm width that risks rubbing. I am
running 205 mm width on 15" wheels, and they have had no problems. 225 tires
are almost a full inch wider, and add ~3/8" to 1/2" to each side of the tire.
        I suppose you could add, say, 10 mm of offset to the front wheels and
then go
to a 225 mm section width with no problems. Dunno how hard it would be to find
wheels with the additional offset. In back, additional offset might be a
problem because the tires may hit the fender when the suspension is
compressed. Perhaps 10 mm of additional back spacing might work in back....?
        Anyway, my point is that some wheels with different offset or back
spacing
might be what you need to make really wide tires work. A little dab of offset
will be all you will want, because if you go for a lot the steering geometry
and handling may be adversely impacted.
        Anybody running wheels with non-standard offset and really wide tires?

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast