More Power from the 1725

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: More Power from the 1725
From: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:03:08 -0500
In amongst the parts, spares, and old pieces of chewing gum that came with my
first car was a reprint of an article (source unknown) seemingly titled
"Chrysler 1600/1725" by David Vizard.  I am going to condense some of his
comments and recommendations here for others to comment on, as there seems to
be more than a little interest in getting more power (including me).

HEAD  Reshape the combustion chambers.
    Intake- blend out the irregularities, and streamline the guide boss into
the valve guide
    Exhaust- smooth and match to exhaust system
    Valve Seats- radiused into the port and chamber
    Skim head 60 thou
These are good for 12-17 hp, which he says is a do it yourself project.

CARBS  Stromberg 150's for street use.
             Weber 28/36 is smoother, slightly less hp.  Not recommended over
the Strombergs
             Weber DCOE 40 for ultimate power if camshaft is modified

FREE FLOW EXHAUST -  5hp

CAM     Holbay with timing of 58-66--84-40

BLOCK  No more than a 40 thou overbore!

Using Webers on the 1600, he claims 100hp without the Holbay camshaft!  It
appears that with a hotter cam, a person can get really nice results for
something like $200.   Anyone that wants a copy of this article, E-mail me
your address and I'll send it to you.  Caution, it is an old copy and not the
best I've seen.  Mr. Vizard tends to ramble, and things get confusing, at
least to me, so I may have misintepreted somethings.

Jay, what do you think of this??
                Bill