RE: More Power from the 1725

To: Barbara Blue <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: More Power from the 1725
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:39:03 -0800
>HEAD  Reshape the combustion chambers.

Yeah but you loose compression here.

>    Skim head 60 thou

To make up for the loss in compression due to combustion chamber mods.

>CARBS  Stromberg 150's for street use.
>             Weber 28/36 is smoother, slightly less hp.  Not recommended
over
>the Strombergs

Totally disagree here, constant depression carbs are more restrictive
than conventional carbs.  This due to the spring loaded and gravity
loaded venturi pistons that must be lifted by partial manifold vacuum.

The weber 28/36 flows enough to make 120BHP.
150CDs are at thier limit on a 1725.
Volvo 1800s used 175CDs, as did the TR7.

If you want real bolt on potential, get the 32/36 DGEV, or better yet
a 40/40 DGAS.

Either will add flow potential and are a set and forget affair.

> Weber DCOE 40 for ultimate power if camshaft is modified

Yes of course, but this is the most expensive mod short of building
a hot shot motor.

>BLOCK  No more than a 40 thou overbore!

Why?
Bigger pistons means more than just more displacement.
It also adds compression ratio.
.060 pistons are available, and if you have a tired .040 I wouldnt
hesitate to overbore to .060, I mean, what do you have to lose?

>Using Webers on the 1600, he claims 100hp without the Holbay camshaft!  It
>appears that with a hotter cam, a person can get really nice results for
>something like $200.

I dont know what you could do with $200.
You could grind a cam I suppose, but that is an incomplete proposition.
Along with the cam are a great deal of other things that "ought" to get
done to, and by the time you are done, it will cost $1500 to make
an honest 100BHP.

Hosepower costs money, and its a log curve.

You first 92 BHP costs $1200 (basic rebuild).
The next 10 adds $300 (cam and port work)
10 more adds about $600 (more head work, real pistons).
10 more adds about $1200 (carrillo rods, light piston pins, dynamic
balance).
10 more adds about $2400 (big valves, and light springs, serious head work).
10 more adds about $4800 (lightened flywheel, tilton clutch,destressed
block, multi-stage oilpump).
The costs go on and on....

I'd say that a 150BHP alpine motor would cost at least $5000.
175BHP perhaps $10000.

BTW, the 150BHP holbay rally special used a stroked 1725 engine with a
billet steel crank,
an E128 camshaft, cast flat top pistons and twin webers.
This engine displaced 1840cc, and was good to 7000 RPM.
The last time the package was available the crankshaft itself cost something
like $3500 USD.

Jarrid Gross