Re: More Power from the 1725

To: "Tom Hill" <tom.hill@att.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Power from the 1725
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 03:32:29 -0800
The reason the ports on the Holbay head are smaller is to increase low end
torque. It is correct that smaller ports increase the velocity of the fuel
air mixture, as in Bournoulli's theorom "when a gas or fluid flows through a
restricted area as in a nozzle or venturi, its velocity increases and
pressure decreases". The velocity helps to create inertia in the incoming
flow, pulling more air into the cylinder. Once the engine winds up to higher
RPMs, the demand for air is greater than the port can flow without
mechanical force (blower, turbocharger). Then the engine chokes out and
loses its ability to produce gofast.
       The Holbay head was put into a production car that was meant to be
driven around rather than at a race track. This factor must be taken into
consideration when considering it for a Hot performance upgrade". Lou