Re: More Power from the 1725

To: Barbara Blue <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: More Power from the 1725
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:59:00 +1100
Barbara Blue wrote:

> By the by, I have seen a couple of references to the effect that some
> engines are not up to supercharging or turbocharging.  Colin Campbell in his
> "Sports Car, etc." claims that supercharging puts less strain on an engine
> than high compression, high revs and so on.

Forced induction whether by mechanical supercharger or exhaust driven
turbocharger does give a motor higher compression because it forces fuel/air
in.  The more fuel/air, the bigger the bang at ignition, the more power is
produced but also the more strain on the bottom end.  With 4 Cyl motors, those
with 5 mains are (other things being similar) generally better able to cope with
this than those with 3 mains.

However a supercharged engine probably won't have to rev as hard as a motor
modified by 'conventional' means to produce the same sort of power, so that
would be less strain.  Also, it may be more tractable (compared to say a
multiple carb motor with a lumpy cam) and so can be driven at lower revs when
you're not after all that power.

Nevertheless, if I were fitting Forced Induction I'd want the best bottom end
possible.

Vic