RE: More Power from the 1725

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: More Power from the 1725
From: "Tom Hill" <tom.hill@att.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:56:58 -0600
The combustion chamber mods recommended by Vizard are very similar to the
difference between the standard and Holbay cylinder heads.  The compression
ratio lost due to the increase in chamber volume can be recovered by using
flat top pistons in place of the 1725 dished pistons.  The only other major
difference between the standard and Holbay head is the intake runner
diameter.  The Holbay intake port is the same size as the standard exhaust
port.

I have a standard and Holbay head and am in the middle of building a new
engine with the Holbay head and Weber induction setup, the Holbay cam sold
by Sunbeam Specialties, .060 over flat top pistons, and the two piece
"early" exhaust header also from SS.  In the interest of knowing our Rootes,
I am putting both the cylinder heads on the flow bench to reveal the
differences.  I expect for this to happen within the next month or so.  I
will post the results to the list.  I am also planning to put the finished
engine on the dyno.  I will post those results as well.

Tom Hill