Re: Fw: Spridgets in DP / rule clarification

To: "Rocky Entriken" <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>,
Subject: Re: Fw: Spridgets in DP / rule clarification
From: "Kendall F Jones" <mrjones2@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:09:37 -0700
OK - I'm going to try one of those point by point replies everyone uses....

>Rocky sayd:
> I find myself in agreement with Josh2 on the Baby Grands. I like'em. And
my
> reasons basically mirror his.

Yeah, mebbe they are not so bad.  There were parts of the course where they
were absolutely (without a question) quicker than any "real" prod car -
narrow little guys.....  If they remain in DP - there will have to be some
way to educate the rest of us on what is legal.  I don't want the
responsibility of guessing.....  What if a privately owned BG winds up with
an illegal motor (Is there such a thing as an illegal motor?), what about
final drive?  They have a potential engine that can match output of the A
series motors (and twice the powerband), sequential trans, and more
suspension adjustments than you can shake a panhard rod at.  I dunno a damn
thing about them.

> I am not truly convinced that the 11-bolt head on the Imbeau car is
wholly
> to be credited for their 3rd and 9th finishes (let us note that Kendall
would
> not have trophied had the Imbeaus been bounced, so he has no axe to grind
> in that respect). They still had to drive the thing, and they drove well.

Yes, but horsepower & torque can overcome poor driving.  This is a serious
amount more H&T than any other car had (unless there were more cheaters
<wink> - Please note that I feel there was only ONE illegal head in the
class).

> These motors
> are so easily and readily traded out that I can buy the argument of
innocently
> believing it to be OK for both makes of car, and thus hesitate to label
the
> Imbeaus as cheaters. But I'd also not expect to see it in the car next
year,
> lacking some rule change expressly permitting it.

I really don't buy that at all.  They looked really pissed that I even said
anything (at the time of protest).  I would think that they will take their
big valves & put them in a 9 bolt head.  Cripes, they knew they were
illegal & still walked across the stage to pick up thier hard earned
trophy.  There was no "Oops" or apology.

So, I had no trophy at stake (I drove like crap).  Why is this a big deal?
Principals, man.

thanks for the response

Kendall