Re: hypothetical ?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hypothetical ?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:19:49 -0400
>What's a guy to do?  Isn't there any "help" offered to racers by the
>folks with the radios, the announcer and in the T&S trailer any more?  I
>thought this was supposed to be a hobby and a friendly sport.

Wow, I'm just full of thoughts today... :)

I'm looking at a course map of our local BMW CCA autocross course.  This
year, we gave every cone an alphanumeric designation based on its location
on the course - S3 for cone 3 of the slalom, or VR1 for cone 1 of the
variable radius turn, for example.  Course workers all have a copy of the
map.  When someone hits a cone or goes off course, not only do they radio in
what happened, but also where.  The car finishes, and the announcer tells
them their time (or that they DNFed) and where the mistake happened.  The
driver can consult a map, if necessary, and correct this on their next run.
This simple system seems to really help people learn the course.  We do run
the same course at all 8 of our events each year.  I can certainly see that
it may be impractical to create such a cone numbering system when you're
running a different course every time, but it's an idea that works for us
and may be useful to some of you.

    - Justin