Re: hypothetical ?

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: hypothetical ?
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 10:07:13 -0700
Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> Say I was at a Divisional event and through some bonehead stunt managed
> to DNF all of the day's runs.  Let's say I kept DNFing at the exact same
> spot on the course each time BUT, nobody told me as I came off the
> course or in the grid area while waiting for my next run.
>
> After I pass the finish lights I come to a stop in the shut-down lane
> and read the chalk board that has my time hand written on it by a worker
> after each run.  There's no mention of the DNF over the P.A. system or
> on the chalk board with my raw time so I assume that I navigated the
> course correctly and that I saw a valid time for my run.
>
> After unknowingly DNFing all of my runs, as the car is sitting in the
> grid in "impound" waiting to be released, I go to look at the official
> score board and see an entire row of DNFs instead of run times next to
> my name.

Eric,

Don't have my rulebook handy, but I think the rule that is applied at
Nationals that says that official times and penalties for each run must
be posted before the subsequent runs begin applies at a Divisional
event.  It might be a Nationals supp though.

Anyway, what this means in practice is usually that one of the
triplicate copies (yellow) is posted somewhere after each run.  That
includes the master time log, the master penalty log (those two are from
the timing vehicle), plus the logs from each corner station.  The corner
station logs will contain not only the penalties, but the cone numbers,
so you know exactly where you DNFed.  You are not required to take your
run until official timing/penalty info from the previous run has been
made available.

However, keep in mind that it is your responsibility as a competitor to
look!  The announcer, etc is not required to tell you anything, and
anything that you hear from those sources is 100% unofficial.

Josh