Re: Traction control and ABS in S/P

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Traction control and ABS in S/P
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:03:58 -0400
>Scotty, you've been driving a Vette for too many years.  As someone else
>mentioned, not all ABS systems are created equal.

An excellent point, Loren.

>If Vette-quality 4-channel ABS was available for my car, I'd consider
>it.

If I had Vette quality 4-channel ABS on my old Bimmer, I'd stomp and steer
all the time.  But I don't, and for me personally that's part of the fun of
driving the old thing.

>well I had my ABS get waterloged 2 weeks ago when running in a downpour..
>the default state of the system is OFF and only activates when everything
in
>the system checks out ok on startup..

On to Jeff's new Bimmer... :)  Better fix that, cuz after this thread you'll
probably get protested! :)

>but I like the ABS it only kicks in when I've gone too far, and does not
>effect my car any other time I can feel

I would expect BMW and other performance cars (including Scotty's Vette) to
have good ABS systems.  An Escort GT with ABS is not going to be nearly as
good, or else it would cost as much as a Z3 or Vette.

>Everybody is forgetting one HUGE thing about ABS...it was designed to allow
>you to maintain steering control NOT necessarily make you stop quicker in a
>straight line.

ABS was designed for the average driver, who would naturally tend to stomp
and steer with no regard for or knowledge of tire contact patches, weight
transfer, etc.  ABS can modulate the brakes much faster than a human can -
computers are good like that - and can therefore keep you on and just within
the edge of traction better than your brain and your foot.  But ABS doesn't
have a butt-dyno.  Sometimes you may want to induce a 4-wheel drift, and
particularly on FWD cars it's tough to break the back loose without stomping
on the brakes hard enough to loosen the back a bit.  It's a trade-off,
really - neither one is better all the time.  And the Vette's ABS is a very
different system from an Escort GT.  YMMV - try it both ways and go with
what works for your car and your driving style.

    - Justin