Re: "ZX2 S/R"...anybody seen one?

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: "ZX2 S/R"...anybody seen one?
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 06:22:51 -0700

Good points from you as well.  I'm playing devils advocate here.   Maybe
it's the "SCAC" in me but attempting to keep killer cars out of
inappropriate stock classes is a tough job! (and this may or may not be
one...)

>If it were a _model_, true...but according to the mfr
>it is an option package (code 67R fwiw).  No different
>in that respect than M030 Porsches or 1LE Camaros, and
>I haven't seen any scramble to boot them.  Ford is>
>holding out the possibility of producing more if the
>initial run is successful.

I think there is one fundamental difference between this type of package
and the ones you list.  There were no MAXIMUM order quantities on those
cars.  If you wanted one when new, you could pretty much go order one.  If
this is 100 units, then everyone who thinks it's the hot car for "X-Stock"
can't have one.  That isn't the right way to go IMHO.   There is no
scramble to 'boot' them, heck this is the first I have even heard of them.
How can there be a scramble to boot them if there aren't any cars yet?
There may be a scramble to 'properly class' them, in ES or DS or where
ever, but only after they come out.

>Good point.  OTOH, honestly I don't think it's a good
>idea to start a thread on "oh, it'll get booted for
>sure".  Rumors take on a life of their own, and I
>would truly hate to see someone who buys such a car
>and wants to autocross it discouraged because they
>heard that their car isn't legal for Stock, even
>though it might be until the SCAC has enough evidence
>to reclass it.  (Though the typical buyer might be
>more in the Street Touring target audience anyway...)

Who is starting a rumor???  I am stating my opinion.  Where did I say it
will definitely get booted?  The SEB makes the decisions around here!  What
I am trying to do, is to discourage you, and anyone else who thinks they
may have found a new model that fits into the current 'catch all'
classification from rushing out and buying one before they are officially
classed by the SEB in FasTrack.  That would be foolish.  Whether or not
this car fits into ES is beside the point, maybe it does, maybe its a DS
car.  Just spend your money wisely.

AB