Re: Hoosier DOT race tires

To: Snapspinnr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hoosier DOT race tires
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 13:26:59 EDT
Snapspinnr@aol.com writes:

<< I have used BFG products for the past two years and I am wondering how the
 Hoosier tires compare. >>

I've been working with Hoosier's on limited-camber vehicles for a couple
years now.  I think Hoosier tires would work really well on an MR2T.  IMO
tire wear issues are operator-error oriented, this applies to g-Forces too.
I'm getting outstanding treadface wear with Hoosier AX compound on my Z3
coupe.  Stock class Hoosier tire wear issues are a result of two things:

1) improper driving
2) improper setup

Of course, combine #1 and #2 and you get massive wear quickly.  I won't
really address how to drive, I'm still learning myself (I've got ABS, but
who's fault is it if the tires lock up?).  However, setup problems with
Hoosiers DOT radials are mainly a result of people refusing to think outside
the box.  Hoosier DOT radials generally require *much* higher pressures than
other tires.  The actual pressure will be dependent on car weight, tire size,
camber available, etc.  Generally "the less camber, the more pressure" will
be required to prevent rolling over onto the sidewall during cornering
maneuvers.  This is critical.  I run 60 psig on my Z3 coupe.

Extreme, too high, won't work?  At the Petersburg Pro practice starts I was
launching at 6500 rpm without tire spin on 60 psig pressure (I still have to
learn how to outdrive everyone to the finish though).  Shock settings are
also critical for camber-limited stock vehicles.  Koni DA's come in handy
here.  On any camber-limited vehicle wear will always occur more towards the
outside tread area.  You have to monitor tire wear and swap the tires inside
out to maximize life, usually good for double the life if you do it at the
right time.

Good luck and have fun,

M Sipe