Re: Hoosier DOT race tires

To: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>, <Snapspinnr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Hoosier DOT race tires
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:36:37 -0400
Brad, though misinformed, said:

>As far as a comparison with the BFGs, Hoosiers are probably the most
>expensive tires to run because they don't last long, they flat spot
easily,
>and they cost a bit more in the first place.  But the new BFG
g-Forces are
>pretty close to the Hoosiers in these respects.  Neither one is very
good in
>heavy rain.  If you run ProSolo NationalSeries, then Hoosier pays
some
>contingency for a win.  BFG does not.
>Brad Burns

The Hoosiers I ran last year lasted a long time. All the way through
Nationals and a few events after. I still have them, too (but I'm on
3rd
generation autocross compund). As with anything, they do require
proper care and feeding, as Mark Sipe pointed out. Same goes for BFGs.
It seems no one makes a rain tire (read deep tread) any more
(if they only made dirt stockers in a 17"). One final thing to clear
up,
Hoosier pays contingency with tires, not cash. However, I thought BFG
was still paying cash to their winners.

Matt Murray

mailto:mattm@optonline.net
mailto:mdmurray@gwns.com